Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What gets you up in the morning?

Good Day,

Today I'd really like to discuss - motivation? I guess that's what it is called, in other words what is the motivating factor that gets you up every morning? Is it your job? Or is it the fact that you know if you don't go to your job today and every day, you won't have one pretty soon to go to?

I'm sure we fool ourselves into thinking that we like our jobs well enough to get up and do it every day, but I'm not so sure. If you had your way, what would you rather be doing? Parasailing off the coast of some island in the Caribbean? Maybe tooling around in your new Porsche in Manhattan somewhere? Or maybe the thought of just doing nothing would be good enough, sleeping late and staying at the house all day to relax? I guess the bottom line is we crave "choice", no matter what the choice is! If I had my "druthers" what would I be doing? I like a challenge, so I'd be running my own online business, making money in my sleep. Ok, you say. So why aren't you doing it then? Well, I'm taking steps toward doing exactly that, and by the end of the year I will be. Will that make me happy? You bet your ass it will...oh, wait. That was a trick question wasn't it? It would for awhile anyway, I'm sure. Would I be able to stop worrying completely about money, forgetting all my other responsibilities and living in a dream-like state of Nirvana? Ok, not really. But it would take care of several problems: 1) I would have more free time, 2) I wouldn't have to deal with driving to work, 3) I wouldn't have a boss to make me do stuff I'm not fond of doing. Would there still be things I don't like to do? Of course, and I'd have to still make myself do them! The motivation however would be to make money for myself, not for some company or to impress some boss.

So what would my motivation be to get up in the morning? Ahh, good question...
Being someone who pretty much enjoys life anyway, it doesn't take too much to make me get up in the morning now. If I knew I could do anything I wanted as long as I got my "work" done for the day, it would be that much better! I could go to the gym and get a good workout, or get out one of my guitars and play for awhile, do some work around the house (which I'm doing anyway remodeling and such), or go to the beach for awhile. Sounds like a Saturday for me anyway, only it would be every day! The only thing is, I'd have to make new friends since mine all work "grunt" jobs like me, so that would take some time. Anyone know where you go to find people that don't work real jobs? Ah, I guess they're all over the place from Monday through Friday, out and about, going to the shopping center or the mall, or hanging out at the beach. How long would that last though? what would you do if you had enough money to not work again? Would you still work at something? I'm thinking most people would just retire, whatever that means anymore. Retire to me means travelling around the world, meeting new people, doing whatever the hell I want to do. But would I still work too, sure. I think I would, if for no other reason than to feel a sense of accomplishment. How about you? Give it some thought, get back to me ok? I really want to know!

To your continued happiness and success!

visit my website at: http://getpassionforlife.com

1 comment:

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

I would ideally want to travel and write novels as an ideal job. Right now, I'm a team leader for a distribution company in the midwest. Working with kids about 30 who have triple the computer skills than I do. Can be stressful to keep up with all the young people. I am learning helpful team and leadership skills, but traveling the world and being an author is what I would really like to do.

I also play guitar. Check out my favorite artists on my blog.

You sound like an interesting person who wants to be more focussed in life.