Thursday, October 6, 2011

My gut-wrenching realization...the Truth

Much has happened since I last wrote in this blog - what can I say? I can't possibly catch up with one post, but I need to start being more consistent with these posts. The main reason I haven't posted anything is that I'm seriously getting to the point where money is an issue, not enough of it in other words.

How did this happen? I was totally confident that I could make my business model work, creating websites using Wordpress and monetizing them with affiliate products and Adsense banners. Yes, it did work to some degree. However I didn't see the huge gains toward the end of this year that I saw in the beginning of the year, and I can't blame anyone but myself. Google Panda may have had some hand in it, but my ability to provide useful content and products that people want is the most important issue. Building a business is easy, with the right business model. The devil, as they say, is in the details!

Over the past year since I was laid off from my job (October 8, 2010 to be exact) I haven't confidently set out to build enough web content and sites to provide myself with a replacement income. Things were going well, money was coming in steadily, and meanwhile I had my savings to live off of to pay the bills. I can do this, I told myself. I wasn't expecting to have a dropoff over the Summer in income, as it seems they case when folks are busy having barbecues and going swimming rather than sitting behind their desks on the PC all day. My income dropped, and I worked harder and harder to make up for it, researching other methods and niches, searching for that "magic bullet" to make up the difference in cash flow.

Alas, I hit a ceiling at around $1,000 per month - not bad, but not enough. As my savings ran dry, my feeling of panic and desperation grew. At this point, I started looking for a "real" job. Yes, my dreams would have to be put on hold somewhat. At least for a time, while I return to the land of the zombies that get up at the crack of dawn and shuffle off to jobs they hate every day. OK, some exaggeration I admit. But that is the way I see it! I have always believed that once you find your "true calling", or "life's purpose" or whatever you want to call it, the money would never be a problem as long as you were true to yourself and believed in your purpose. So what happened?

In actuality nothing really happened, I still believe in all of that. I still believe that I will be able to make it my life's purpose to build a business online, using my wits and words to make a living. How can I still believe in that after the past year? Easy, I still believe that because I know it's true that you never fail unless you quit. I have never quit this game, and never will! Setbacks? Sure, we all have those once in awhile, but you can't let that get you down. Everything I have learned in the past year has gotten me that much closer to realizing my dream, and I'm not about to let it go now, or ever. I'm that much more determined to stay the course as they say, and build my business while I build my dreams.

So with that said, I must get back to work. I have my list of things to accomplish today and it's a long one! So back to it, time to make the doughnuts, whatever you might say. I still believe, and that is the only thing that matters...

One of my favorite quotes:

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse”

 

Hope to talk again soon - until then remember, don't let anyone ever steal your dreams. Especially you!

 

( and you can quote me on that )

No comments: